[Talk-ca] Preferred phone number format

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Feb 5 22:02:03 UTC 2018

Hey, a discussion for multi-contact and phone tag semantics-meets-syntax.  Excellent!

Note how our tag:phone wiki https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:phone hews pretty strongly to ITU-T E.164.  That is a goal to shoot for, as what it calls "user agents" is what I referred to as "a phone number parser."  There is some caution ("not voted on just documentation of use") about country-specific usage, should Canada fully embrace something unique.

I can also imagine a "sweeper script" (specific to Canada geographically, if you wish) which does selecting-new-and-possibly-unorthodox phone numbers getting run once in a while, say twice a year, to keep a checking eye on things.  That could be a short Overpass Turbo script plus a few minutes of human analysis similar to the sort you (Matthew) are doing now.

Like mowing the lawn, as I think about it.  Sure, I had to buy a lawnmower and I even sharpen the blades now and then.  So, the task is easy.

SteveA
California