[Talk-ca] BC2020 project

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:02:12 UTC 2018

The problem with the project in basically its an idea.

In Ottawa we had a huge advantage with having the building outlines
available in Open Data that could be carefully imported.  Then anyone could
add tags and they did.

To move the project forward and make it more general I think we need to
split it up into tasks and these should be aimed at a particular target
audience.

We know we have interest from schools and universities but what can we give
them as a task that makes sense from both sides.  Can we point them to some
stats that have been extracted from OSM and the buildings?

JOSM and the building tool works well but does need some planning.  Based
on experience with HOT mappers laptops without mice using iD is not
conducive to high data quality.  "Real soon now" a building tool for iD may
arrive.

Adding the number of levels to a building adds value and we should be able
to suggest to even inexperienced people ways they can do this.

Adding an address to a building makes more sense if we ask inexperienced
mappers to add the numbers.  Someone with JOSM can highlight a group and
add the street name.

Is it commercial or residential?  This would be nice but there are a range
of values for building.  Perhaps rewrite the wiki to list the common values.

Which software fits which profile of mappers?  JOSM is wonderful but a
smartphone app is more useful if you only have a smartphone.

Note that all these things are general and for many parts of the world
would form a basic database of what is there.

So I suggest from a technical point of view what is in the wiki is OK but
what it needs desperately is an introduction for new mappers with pointers
(tutorials?) as to how they can assist the process.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks John