[Talk-ca] Expanding vs abbreviating

Viajero Perdido viajero.perdido.spam.bucket at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:15:24 UTC 2018

On 18-02-20 10:51 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> "If the name can be spelled without an abbreviation, then don't
> abbreviate it."

But if that changes it so it's no longer "the name", logically that rule
doesn't apply.

The name of my street ends in "NW".  Changing it to end in "Northwest"
or "North-west" makes it no longer match the official name, eg my
property tax bill.

Besides, I haven't yet met a renderer smart enough to recognize and
shorten "Northwest" or "North-west".

I'll repeat.  From the wiki, "If the name is incorrect when spelled in
full, however, do not falsely expand it."
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Abbreviation_.28don.27t_do_it.29
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Abbreviation_.28don.27t_do_it.29>