[Talk-ca] Expanding vs abbreviating

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Feb 20 17:51:36 UTC 2018

Here is what the wiki [1] has to say on the subject of names;
If the name can be spelled without an abbreviation, then don't abbreviate
it. Computers can easily shorten words, but not the other way (St. could be
Street or Saint). If the signs have abbreviated words and you don't know
what the full word is, then use it temporarily until someone else completes
it. Using short forms is a decision of software, i.e., the underlying data
should have the full street name. This will allow a renderer, a router or a
location finder to introduce abbreviations as necessary. See, for instance,
the list of abbreviations [2] used by Name Finder and Nominatim.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Name_finder:Abbreviations

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Viajero Perdido <
viajero.perdido.spam.bucket at gmail.com> wrote:

> I continue to assert that our (OSM's) name=* wiki states these
>>> abbreviations should be fully expanded and that official_name=* might hold
>>> the abbreviation.
>>>

> Hi Everyone.
>
> I'll pop in here because I'd hate to see this considered "discussed and
> approved". (And replying a day late because I'm still getting the hang of
> mailing list technology.  Hope it doesn't catch on.)
>
> From the wiki, "If the name is incorrect when spelled in full, however, do
> not falsely expand it."
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Abbreviation_.28don.27t_do_it.29
>
> On a related note, I live in Edmonton, where every street has a quadrant
> suffix, usually "NW".  The city made those abbreviations, not OSM mappers.
> It's right there on my property tax bill; I'm paying tax for a property
> that ends in "NW".  I've got the whole city touched up to say NW etc.
> (after an old import) - and it bugs me to see mappers swoop in to expand
> things again.  Luckily the Edmonton wiki has explicit examples that agree
> with me.
>
> My two bits.
>
> Tom, aka VP

@osm_seattle