[Talk-ca] A bit of an ambiguity from here

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 23:10:51 UTC 2018

There re two stages to the building project.

The first is to get the building outlines.  The local cities basically have
this information anyway.

The second step is to enrich these with tags giving the number of levels,
the type, etc.  I forget the full list of of attributes.  Once you have
that sort of information then you can run statistical analysis on them to
get a lot of meaningful data.  In Zambia they are doing population
estimates from the number and floor space of the buildings together with
the number of levels. That means you can plan where to put schools and
clinics to best advantage.  Or even coffee shops and putting a coffee shop
in the best location is worth money and that's why Stats is so interested
in the project and the same for the municipal governments.  City planning
is the key to this.  Bjenk would get quite excited over the range of tags
that got added and the number that were converted from building=yes to
building=church or residential etc.

Cheerio John

On 28 January 2018 at 17:35, OSM Volunteer stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com