[Talk-ca] using image recognition to create building foot prints.

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:15:32 UTC 2018

 ยท

*NRCan is working on a methodology to extract building footprints,
including topographic elevation and height attributes, from LiDAR*

*Traditionally OSM has not been happy with this sort of thing.  The
accuracy can be poor.*

*We probably need to think about this since the BC2020i project had this
mentioned and Stats Can has given it a mention also.  I'm not promoting it
nor saying its bad but it will almost certainly be raised shortly.*

*First if an import was done using this data who would be the local group
to approve it?  I suspect because it covers the entire country it would be
the talk-ca group.  The date would come through the TB portal so licensing
is not an issue.  Or it could be split into regions with regional local
groups making decisions.*

*The other very big question is to do with data quality.  So far nothing
that is machine learnt from imagery has consistently met the expectations
of OpenStreetMap.*

*Note to Pierre I'm not sure if you are on the talk-ca mailing list but any
feedback you might have on the data quality side would be welcome and will
be shared amongst the group.*

*Thoughts?*

*Thanks John*