[Talk-ca] Trans-Canada Highway research

Matthew Darwin matthew at mdarwin.ca
Mon Mar 26 13:25:11 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-26 07:20 AM, Olivia Robu - (p) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The Telenav Map team has done some research on the status of the
> ways and relations of Trans-Canada Highway.
>
> Here are some conclusions from this research:
>
>   * The highway is formed from 30 routes;

The Trans-Canada highway is not really 1 highway, so this is probably
not surprising.   In many places, the Trans-Canada highway splits in
2, so probably cannot have 1 route anyway.

>   * Every route has different names for the name tag, such as:
>     street names, other routes names or Trans-Canada highway name in
>     different forms;
>   * The issue above is repeating for the ref tag;

IMO the routes and the refs need to match, or the refs need to be
removed given that routes should supersede refs.  In my investigations
in Ontario I see lots of places where routes and refs don't match.

>   * The name of Trans-Canada highway has more than one form
>     (Trans-Canada Highway, TransCanada Highway, Trans Canada
>     Highway, etc);

Probably good to standardize that.  However, in Quebec I would think
the French name would take precedence. "/Route Transcanadienne"/

>   * Another issue is the variety of names in other tags related to
>     it (such as: name:en, name:fr, alt_name, alt_name:en,
>     alt_name:fr, nat_name);
>   * There are some routes that don’t have a route name only ref (5
>     routes);
>   * There are some routes that overlap:
>       o in Manitoba: - PTH 1 (MB Trans-Canada Highway) and
>         Trans-Canada Highway (Super);
>
> - Yellowhead Highway and PTH 16 (MB Trans-Canada Highway);
>
>       o in Alberta: Trans-Canada Highway (AB) and Trans-Canada
>         Highway (Super);
>       o in British Columbia: - Trans-Canada Highway (BC, Super) and
>         Trans-Canada Highway;
>
>   * About 90% of these routes are broken;
>   * About 80% of these routes have highway value flip flop
>     (motorway, trunk, primary);

Highway 17 in Ontario is not a motorway.  So I would expect different
segments to be different.  Highway 417 (motorway) changes to Highway
17 (trunk) just west of Arnprior Ontario.  This is correct.

> We propose to make some improvements to standardize all the routes.
> We would like to get your thoughts and feedback on the following
> questions:
>
>   * What is the correct form for the name that appears in the way
>     name tag? For example: “Highway 417” is part of Trans-Canada
>     Highway and has the name value tag “Highway 417”. To resolve
>     this issue, we would need to standardize the ways’ name tag for
>     all the provinces. The question is, should we modify the way
>     names in to “Trans-Canada Highway”, or should we insert the name
>     “Trans-Canada Highway” at the end of the name, like this:
>     “Highway 417 (Trans-Canada Highway)”, or should we leave it like
>     it is?

No, definitely not.

>  *
>

>   * Another issue is related to the official name of the highway.
>     According to our research the official name for Trans-Canada
>     Highway is “Trans-Canada Highway”. In our research we have found
>     several forms of this name: TransCanada Highway, Trans Canada
>     Highway, etc. Should we change all the names to “Trans-Canada
>     Highway”?

In Quebec probably "/Route Transcanadienne"/

>  *
>

>   * Another question is related to the priority of the names in the
>     name value tag and also for the ref tag. If we have a way that
>     has a street name (“Old Highway 16” or “North York River Road”)
>     and two routes that overlap (ex: Trans-Canada Highway and
>     Highway 11). What is the name and the ref that should appear in
>     the way name tag and ref tag?

Highway 11.  Local road first.

>  *
>

>   * In case of overlapping identical routes (ex: in Manitoba there
>     is two routes for Trans-Canada Highway). What should be the best
>     approach?

The Trans-Canada Highway has multiple routes.  It is not one highway.
The graphic on wikipedia, probably shows this clearly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Canada_Highway

>  *
>

>   * In case of highway value flip flop (motorway, trunk, primary),
>     there are several segments like this outside the cities (ex.:
>     Route “Ontario Highway 17 (Blind River to North Bay) (ID
>     3739829)”, or Route “Trans Canada Highway 104” (ID 1732797)).
>     For areas outside the cities we propose to change the highway
>     value into motorway/trunk. What do you think about this issue?

If it is really a motorway, yes.  But many places outside of cities it
is not a motorway.

>  *
>

> We think that one approach to resolve the first problem could be to
> add “Trans-Canada Highway” or “Highway 417 (Trans-Canada Highway)”
> to the way name for all the routes, and the ref number correspondent
> to each route that forms the Trans-Canada Highway.

You could add an alt_name or similar tag.

> We look forward to hearing your feedback and hope to improve the
> situation together.
>
> Here is the link to github ticket that we created:
> https://github.com/TelenavMapping/mapping-projects/issues/57

Highway 17 just west of Arnprior has the following tags, which looks
correct to me:

alt_name=Trans-Canada Highway
highway=trunk
lanes=2
name=Highway 17
ref=17

Please note some sections of this route will have multiple alt_names.
Eg the 401 between Trenton and Toronto will have:

- Highway 401 (primary name)
- Trans-Canada Highway
- Macdonald-Cartier Freeway
- Highway of Heroes

Although I see the existing tags are inconsistent here.