[Talk-ca] Ongoing Canadian building import needs to be stopped, possibly reverted

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Fri Jan 18 02:27:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 21:04, OSM Volunteer stevea
<steveaosm at softworkers.com> wrote:
>> The import was discussed on talk-ca and in my opinion there was a consensus of opinion it should go ahead. The data comes from the municipalities of which there are some 37,000 separate ones in Canada.  The idea of a single import plan was suggested on talk-ca by someone not involved rather than have 37,000 different import plans.  Many municipalities are very small.
> There was a serious dearth of reply, and nothing even approaching "consensus of opinion," indicating (to me and likely others) that a nationwide import did not have the wide, national consensus it must have to continue.  John, we're simply going to disagree about that, it seems.  Especially in light of the events in this desire/wiki/project going back to 2017, MUCH more consensus ought to have been built.  I kept my mouth largely shut at the reboot two months ago, yet here we are.

When no one is responding, sometimes it is because they are fine with
the message as-is. I read it. I was fine with it. This isn't an
Australian election.

I must say I find the panic about imperfect building shapes is a bit
amusing considering the very poorly manually-drawn sidewalks I've been
seeing and having to fix in Toronto, or thousands of laneways having a
descriptive "name" added by our corporate friends. Do we aim for
perfect, or for good? Because if it's perfect, I see a _lot_ to be
reverted or deleted.

--Jarek