[Talk-ca] English and French translation required for some road names

Steven Abrams steven at uxeye.co.uk
Fri Jul 5 11:40:32 UTC 2019

Hi all, I am working with Microsoft Research and we have an app called Microsoft Soundscape (on iPhone only currently) for the Visually Impaired and Blind communities. The app provides a 3D map experience and calls out to the user several points of interest and road names, all based on OSM data.
In Canada we have noticed that in the French speaking cities and areas of Quebec, that roads may be named "1e Avenue" or "1er Avenue".
I am assuming that this should be called out as "Première Avenue" in French and "First Avenue" in English. Is this correct?
But I have noticed that there is no translation for both languages.
Is it possible for some local OSM mappers to consider providing these translations so that apps can callout the names of roads accurately? i.e. a user using the French Language & Voice settings would hear "Première" and users using the English Language & Voice settings would hear "First"?
I have included a link to such a road where I have added the English translation.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/20443208 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/20443208>
What are the thoughts here?
Thanks
Steven