[Talk-ca] Importing buildings in Canada

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:59:34 UTC 2019

I'll try to sum up my understanding.

Currently your view is the existing import plan for Canada building
imports does not meet the import guidelines and cannot be amended to
meet them.  I was hoping that something might have happened in the last
six months on the preprocessing of data side which would have meant we
could have got a consensus to move forward but no movement on this has
apparently happened.

Second no consensus exists for importing all the buildings or how it
should be done.  My personal view is originally I didn't think this was
achievable for all Canada.  There were simply too many players and
getting complete unanimous consensus was always going to be a problem
but it was found the most difficult part of the Ottawa buildings import
was the import mailing list and the OSM guidelines for imports so based
on input from outside the original Ottawa group the decision was made to
go for a Canada wide import plan to minimise the requirements for
multiple people to submit import plans.  The technical side of the
import by comparison was fairly simple and much more interesting.  So it
was worth trying a country wide import plan.

The Ottawa import was thrashed out over coffee and the local mappers are
happy with the data quality even though some non-local mappers were not.

I still have reservations about the ability of some of the smaller
groups of mappers to get an import plan through all the loops.

So I think we are at the point where ideally we expect local groups to
come up a decision on data quality and submit individual import plans.
All three sources, Stat Can, Microsoft and NR Can LiDAR data meet the
licensing OpenStreetMap licensing requirements but your plan will have
to specify which license is being used for the import and how it meets
the OSM guidelines.

I note some imports in Africa are done by mappers who live outside
Africa so I'm unclear if you need to live in the area to import or not
or how far away you can be and still be counted as a local mapper.

Since in Nate's opinion the Canada wide import plan does not meet the
guidelines please do not use it as a template.

Have fun

Cheerio John

Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>