[Talk-ca] Importing buildings in Canada

Daniel @jfd553 jfd553 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 18 22:24:16 UTC 2020

Bonjour groupe,
Here is a sequential summary of the last exchanges. I inserted some comments […] within these exchanges description and summarize what I understand from it at the end.
Nate asked not to confuse the process of importing new data with that of updating/modifying existing OSM data in order to keep things simple for this import.
Daniel (I) responded that importing new data and updating/modifying existing ones at the same time (when necessary) is not unusual in OSM [and would be more efficient].
John replied that importing new data and updating/modify existing data when required worked quite nicely when importing Ottawa.
Nate explained he believes that the buildings will not be compared manually since there are hundreds of thousands of them in OSM for Toronto alone. In other words, he thinks there will be automated edits, and these edits are not governed by the same policies as imports. [This is an important consideration. What has happened in Ottawa and Toronto so far? Have automatic processes been used?]
Tim replied that in most cases it might be appropriate to replace OSM data, as he believes [as I do for most of the cases] that the ODB footprints will be more accurate than existing buildings. However he considers it is a case-by-case decision [then no automation process should be used].
John couldn’t resist digressing toward the “Microsoft buildings import” but had to bring back the discussion on ODB import after reactions from Tim and Pierre (LOL).

I think that, somehow, we could all agree on how the import should be done:

-          Align images on ODB, unless evidence ODB data are ill located.

-          Align existing OSM content with the image, only if necessary after aligning the image with ODB.

-          Import non-existent buildings in OSM.

-          Conflate ODB and OSM buildings, only if necessary.

-
To address Nate’s legitimate concerns, we could agree that there will be no automatic changes/conflation of existing buildings. Having a local import manager and by using the task manager, we should be able to ensure that there will be no unauthorized import (i.e. not responding to the above).
Am I too optimistic?
Daniel