[Talk-ca] First Nations reserve naming

Amos Hayes ahayes at gcrc.carleton.ca
Fri Dec 2 15:56:37 UTC 2022

Hi folks. I lurk on this list and am not an active OSM mapper but I do a
lot of work with Indigenous Peoples on mapping of their lands and agree
with "stevea" that it ought to be a case by case thing and any mass changes
are probably not capturing the local naming unless the source data being
applied has been created that way.

The language and terminology used can be very important and context
sensitive. For example, the term First Nations as used in Canada refers
only to specific Indigenous Peoples. Other Indigenous Peoples in Canada are
Inuit and Métis. See https://www.afn.ca/about-afn/ for some additional
information from the Assembly of First Nations. And if you are even more
curious, there is a good blog post and links to other resources at
https://www.ictinc.ca/blog/indigenous-peoples-terminology-guidelines-for-usage

I'm happy to provide more information or to help research or connect to
appropriate sources. Feel free to drop me a line.

--
Amos Hayes
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre
ahayes at gcrc.carleton.ca