[Talk-cl] CONAF info for OSM Chile

Danilo Lacoste danilo en lacosox.org
Jue Feb 16 01:46:29 GMT 2012

Hi Alexandros,

yesterday I reviewed the kml, it have very good information. so, in
many places CONAF say that information is for all people, but no say
if can we use it for all destiny ... :S.

I think it is free for all :), if I were you, I would use it without problem.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Alexandros Papadopoulos
<alexandros.papadopoulos en member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the info Patricio.
>
> I found a kml file with boundaries of all national parks in Chile on
> the CONAF website. The "Restricciones" field is empty. Does this mean
> this data can be used for OSM? Could someone please check?
>
> Alex
>
> On 29 December 2011 23:18, Patricio Cifuentes Ithal OSM
> <patricio.cifuentes en openstreetmap.cl> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Thank's For the information, you can get info in http://sit.conaf.cl and send the email to manager the site For more description , shape and maps... Bye!
>>
>> Patricio Cifuentes Ithal
>>
>> El 29-12-2011, a las 17:37, Alexandros Papadopoulos <alexandros.papadopoulos en member.fsf.org> escribió:
>>
>>> (apologies for message in English, my Spanish is very bad)
>>>
>>> Feliz Navidad & hello!
>>>
>>> I have been travelling around Chile by bicycle for the past 5 months.
>>> I have used OSM maps exclusively for navigation, and to record POIs
>>> and ways that are not already on the map.
>>>
>>> I noticed that natural monuments (Parque Nacionals, Reservas Nacionals
>>> etc) are not mapped in detail - hiking trails (senderos) and
>>> facilities are missing, as are some boundaries (e.g. some parks are
>>> not defined on the map at all).
>>>
>>> Other than painstakingly collecting this information one trail at a
>>> time, would it be possible for the Chile OSM community to reach out to
>>> a CONAF contact and convince them to donate the data? I visited a
>>> CONAF office today and they do appear to have all the data for their
>>> areas of control in digital format (ArcGIS etc). At least the people
>>> here were all too happy to give me a GPX export, so with a bit of
>>> diplomacy CONAF could be convinced to do the same - as this would be a
>>> selling point for hiking and other nature-related activities in Chile.
>>>
>>> Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before or has obvious
>>> flaws, I just thought I would bring it up.
>>>
>>> Please note I am not subscribed to talk-cl (language barrier), so feel
>>> free to CC: me if you would like to discuss this.
>>>
>>> Thank you for all your work so far - I have enjoyed using OSM in Chile!
>>>
>>> Alex

Danilo Lacoste
Ingeniero Civil en informática
www.lacosox.org