[Talk-de] Hello from England

pirrifornus at web.de pirrifornus at web.de
Mi Jul 1 11:44:36 UTC 2009

I never participate in any mailing list discussion, but seeing the communication campaign for the new license and this project

being so important for me i'll break my rule.

Let me first thank  you for the brilliant idea of OSM which for me and surely for many others has made a dream come through.

Having said this I would like to comment on three issues which were mentioned in this thread:

a) SOTM

Is is not ok to slap students with very little money by pretending that the conference is not expensive. You yourself admit that it

is expensive internally by giving discounts for founding members i.e. the interest group (I don't like the term foundation in this

context). Also I remember much bigger Linux events which were free.

The very topic is that the interest group is financing the management of the project by the mappers who already do the work! How

come that one of the biggest crowdsourcing ventures in the internet world can't be financed by IBM, Bertelsman foundation, Royal

geographic society or by Wikipedia. (No, I won't organize conferences or look for sponsors. I' am sitting here in Senegal nearly at

the end of the world)

b) License

All problems with the license can be backtracked to the value of the information collected and the wish to extend the commercial

use. That is ok with with me. What is not ok is that the license permits keeping the information in my bank safe and only

distribute it for a "reasonable production fee". Again: Such a big project has to prescribe the use of the internet for each and

every bit of information, so that that the information stays freely accessible and usable.

The license excludes any patent and branding aspects (2.3). Maybe that is necessary. I will however be assured that i always can

have free access and and use of the information without getting to know that the information is free but the data interface is

patented and the data model is branded. Yes I know, nobody has ever thought of, but Michael Jackson never thought of selling his

furniture and Bjön Borg never meant to sell his trophy's.

c) communication

I went to the website of the interest group and read that the last minutes of meeting date form april. If that is not in

contradiction to the things said in this thread than at least there is lot of room for improvement to insert the discussion process

in the interest group into the news and blogs of OSM.