[Talk-de] Hello from England

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Do Jul 2 09:15:12 UTC 2009

2009/6/30 Rotbarsch <rotb at gmx-topmail.de>

> [...]
> schlecht macht. Ich denke, dass schon Vorbehalte gegen die Foundation
> bestehen, die Du aber vielleicht ein Bißchen zerschlagen kannst, was
> Du ja auch vorhast.
>
> I did not recognize something like a FUD campaign against OSMF. That
> would mean that somone wants and plans to make the public opinion of
> the Foundation bad on purpose. I think there are reserves against the
> foundation, but it might come out that you make them less hard by this
> discussion, like you planed.
>
> Ein Aspekt ist, dass Du drei Rollen in OSM besetzt. Nicht jede Deiner
> Rollen kann dieselben Ziele haben. Zunächst bist Du Gründer von OSM,
> was Dich zu soetwas wie ein Star für uns macht. Zweitens bist Du
> Leiter eines Unternehmens, dass viel Geld bekommen hat um noch mehr
> Geld damit zu verdienen, wobei OSM-Knowhow -Daten benutzt werden
> sollen. Dies macht Dich zu einer Person, auf die wir ein Auge werfen.
> Drittens bist Du Vostandsmitglied in der OSMF, einer Organisation, die
> für sich in Anspruch nimmt, für OSM als ganzes zu sprechen. In der
> letzten Rolle würden wir Dir als Gründer von OSM grundsätzlich
> vertrauen...
>
> One thing is, that you have three roles in OSM. Not each of your roles
> can have the same goals. First you are founder of OSM for which you
> are something like a star for us. Second you are leader of a company,
> which gets a lot of money to make more money using OSM knowledge and
> OSM data, which makes you a guy where we keep having an eye on. Third
> you are board-member of the OSMF, an organisation that claims to speak
> for OSM. In the last role we would usually trust you as you are the
> founder of OSM...
>
> Ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob es jemanden geben könnte, der diese
> Rollen (speziell die zweite und dritte) sauber trennen könnte. Kannst
> Du es? Warum?
>
> I am not sure at all if it would be possible for anyone to sperate the
> roles (especially the second and third) tidy. Is it for you? Why?
>
> Verstehe bitte, dass wir uns unwohl fühlen, wenn jemand zu uns sagt:
> "Wenn Du die deutsche Sektion der OSMF werden möchtest, musst Du
> unterschreiben, dass Du alle URLs, alle Mailinglisten und alles was Du
> aufgebaut hast an die OSMF abgeben musst, wennn Du eines Tages
> beschließt, wieder getrennte Wege zu gehen." Das fände ich o.k., wenn
> OSMF für diese Infrastruktur bezahlt hätte. Aber in unserem Fall wäre
> das einfach inakzeptabel, denn es ist durchaus möglich, dass wir mal
> unterschiedliche Meinungen über OSM haben werden.
>
> Please understand that we feel uncomfortable if somebody says: "If you
> want to become german section of OSMF you have to sign, that when you
> decide to go different ways later again you have to give all URLs, all
> mailinglists and everything you build up to OSMF." This might be IMO
> o.k., if OSMF paid for those infrastructure. But in our case it seems
> in my eyes inacceptable, because it is possible, that we will have a

Thanks for the feedback on setting up local chapters.  This is the first
negative feedback about this particular aspect I've heard - its very
welcome.  Let me try to explain.

What we are trying to achieve is to make sure the mission of OpenStreetMap
and the OSM-F is carried out by the local chapters.  There will be local
differences - and these differences are important to create a healthy,
diverse organization. There are lots of differences within OSM, but I think
its safe to say that we all want OSM to have the best free map in the world.
 Our definitions of "free" and "best" are probably where the differences
lie.

When setting up local chapters, the Foundation wanted to help local OSM
communities represent OSM officially.  The Foundation had lots of mails from
people saying that they wanted to talk to journalists, governments and
companies about OSM related things - setting up mapping parties, interviews
or getting data donated.  People told the Foundation that they were running
into difficulties because they did not officially represent the OSM-F.  So
we wanted to help local communities grow and offer them the support of the
OSM-Foundation by becoming a federated member of the Foundation.

One of the requirements of a federated organization is that they have a
democratic structure - another thing I'm sure we all agree on.  But
democratic organizations can be abused.  What happens if the English Chapter
decides that its OK to trace from Ordnance Survey Maps and starts
encouraging its membership to do so?  The OSM-Foundation needs to be able to
protect itself and OSM from the legal implications of this.

This is one of the core reasons for the clauses in the agreement that refer
to termination.

I have a few general questions:

1) Do you all generally agree that the OSM-Foundation needs to have a
termination clause in the contract?

2) If so, what can we do to make it more acceptable?

Draft Federation Document -
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgdmw5gt_7gtj36hhh

Thanks for the inputs on this.

Nick
nick at osmfoundation.org

> Mag sein, dass ich etwas falsch verstanden habe, aber die obigen
> beiden Punkte sind die wichtigsten, die mir in den Sinn kämen, wenn
> mich jemand fragen würde, ob irgendetwas an der OSMF verkehrt wäre.
> Danke, dass Du mir nun einmal die Möglichkeit gegeben hast, Dich
> direkt damit zu konfrontieren.
>
> I might be wrong with my understandings of what happened with OSMF,
> but those two points are the most inmportant for my which comes in my
> mind when I would be asked "Is there anything wrong with OSMF?" Thank
> you to give me now the chance to tell them you "directly".
>
> Wegen der Lizenz: Ich denke, wenn Du nicht gerade Deine zweite Rolle
> innehättest, würde ich Dir mit jeder Lizenz, die Du vorschlägst
> vertrauen...
>
> About the license: I think if you would not have the second role I
> would just trust you with any license you would bring up...
>
> Viele Grüße / Kind Regards
>
> Rotbarsch

Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b