[Talk-de] Help needed for mapping missing navigation data in Germany

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fr Aug 12 22:01:55 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 12 ago 2016, alle ore 23:16, marc tobias <mtm at opencagedata.com> ha scritto:
>
> I like the part where you say Wolfsburg, population 120.000,
> was a major city in Germany.

lol, I must have missed this. Wolfsburg is actually a very young city, founded in 1938 as home for the workers of Volkswagen, which was installed there by the Nazis to produce the Beetle (KdF-Wagen), and has as almost only feature the huge car production plant of VW (the museum and college, Autostadt etc. are all more or less related to the factory). Speaking of major German cities (or being asked to name 20 of them) almost no German would come up with Wolfsburg I guess (almost because maybe some local would).

It's not even on the English WP list of the 50 biggest German cities:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Germany_by_population

FWIW, I believe you shouldn't do this remote mapping project in Germany, as the features you plan to map require current on the ground knowledge, something mapillary cannot provide reliably (if there are discrepancies between their photos and OSM you would not know whether OSM is wrong or incomplete, or the situation simply has changed since the photo was taken).

Cheers,
Martin