[Talk-dk] highway=rest_area in Denmark

Rasmus Vendelboe r.vendelboe+osm at gmail.com
Ons Apr 20 14:13:23 UTC 2016

Hi Nelson,

Welcome to the danish mailing list. It shouldn't matter that you write in
english, although we prefer danish. If somebody has a good point and cannot
communicate it in english, I'm sure some of us will help us get the point
through to you.

To me your question is really just about semantics. Just to state the
obvious, you're correct that there is a page on the wiki describing a
highway=rest_area tag [1]. If you read through the description it e.g.
states "unlike service=highway, rest areas don't have places to buy
fuel[...]l" which severely limit your argument as most rest areas along
danish highways, motorways and primary ways are made in conjunction with
filling stations. So you need to limit your search method by nearby POIs of
those.

With that being said I actually think the highway=rest_area article on the
wiki is a junk article and the tag itself superfluous. In what way is a
resting area near a highway not a subcatagory of the service tag? Why
should a tag be limited by any nearby filling stations POIs? To me that is
just a weird and totally unnecessary definition that limits and makes OSM
overly complicated to fit into british norms and standards. Have you
considered that we as community maybe are best off with moving the
highway=rest_area tag into a service=rest_area tag instead?

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Drest_area

Best regards
Rasmus Vendelboe