[Talk-dk] highway=rest_area in Denmark

Jørgen Elgaard Larsen jel at elgaard.net
Ons Apr 20 14:36:02 UTC 2016

Rasmus Vendelboe wrote:
> most rest areas along danish highways, motorways and primary ways are
> made in conjunction with filling stations.

I would say the opposite.
As I read it, highway=rest_area would translate into Danish as
"rasteplads". We have plenty of those without filling stations.

Certainly, the ones found by Nelson's Overpass Turbo search obviously do
not have filling stations.

> With that being said I actually think the highway=rest_area article on
> the wiki is a junk article and the tag itself superfluous. In what way
> is a resting area near a highway not a subcatagory of the service tag?

"Rasteplads" vs "tankstation" (filling station)? How is a "rasteplads" a
sub category of "tankstation"?

If anything, it would be the other way around.

> Have you considered that we as community maybe are best off with
> moving the highway=rest_area tag into a service=rest_area tag instead?

That is besides the point. Nelson's question is _not_ about
highway=rest_area vs. highway=services.

He asks about highway=rest_area vs. highway=service,service=rest_area.

- Jørgen