[Talk-dk] highway=rest_area in Denmark

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Ons Apr 20 18:43:25 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Rasmus Vendelboe
<r.vendelboe+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably because it has been cleaned up through Denmark by a single person?
> I haven't been part in it, but in my humble opinion it is a better tagging
> scheme, simpler and more inline with osm's taxonomy than highway=rest_area.
> Highway=rest_area is a weakly described tag, it makes no sense and should
> imho be deprecated.

I am not saying that it's wrong nor right the way it's represented in
Denmark, but I can see one problem: data consumers will look for
highway=rest_area or highway=services (since they are the most used
tags in the rest of the world).

Suppose somebody goes to Denmark, using osmand, and tries to locate a
rest area. They won't find.
It won't also be represented in most (if not all) the renderers.

Again, I am not saying that it's wrong nor that it needs to be
changed, but it has disadvantages while it's not used and while it is
unknown outside Denmark.

My original message was only to inform that you are using a different
tag to represent the objects.