[Talk-gb-westmidlands] Downloading OSM slippy map tiles

Iain Simpson iain at highersystems.co.uk
Sun Jul 7 18:26:35 UTC 2019

Hi
6-7 years ago I wrote a small Python based system to retrieve geo-tagged
photos of a given area. The location of each photo was marked on a
generated map created with downloaded OSM tiles.

The map was 3x3 tiles square and could be zoomed in or out as required.
The photo details were stored in an sqlite data base and downloaded
tiles were cached on the PC so only new ones were downloaded.

I last used the system in 2016 and it worked fine.

I've just tried to run it again and it fails with
'urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden'

I assume that the OSM access methods/conditions have changed.
Can anyone suggest where to look or who to contact ?

Thanks

--
Iain Simpson
(a voice from the past of OSM Stafford)