[Talk-GB] RE: designated cycleway, designated bridleway, designated footway

Rik van der Helm rik at the-quickest.com
Thu Aug 2 18:40:39 BST 2007

Thanks for replying sofar.

Shaun McDonald replied:
> Since you are in the Netherlands, you might want to join the
> Netherlands talk list. The hope is to get consistency of the tagging
> within each country.

I joined talk-nl already, but as far as I can see this topic isn't an
issue yet in NL. I was thinking of draining your GB experience
first before raising difficult issues in NL. But if you don't
agree on that, I will move to NL shortly.

Andy Allen replied:
> The "designated" refers to their legal status, but in
> practise this is pretty much impossible to find out with
> copyright violations from the national mapping agency
> (the Ordinance Survey). Instead, we use signposts to
> determine the legal status of a particular route.

So highway=bridleway,highway=cycleway,highway=footway is
pointing to 'legal way of rights'. This means I can't
tag footpathes which are not a 'legal way of right' as
'highway=footway'. My main question now is how should I tag
footpathes without a 'legal way of right' ? In the
map_features I only see 'tracks' as possibility. But this
doesn't feel right for me (see later).

Shaun McDonald replied:
> The difference between a track and a path is more in the
> surface quality, rather than the width. A path is normally
> paved, whereas a track is more gravel, or more likely 2
> dips, where tractor wheels have been, often with grass in
> the middle.

Maybe you can help me on on this. I was thinking about using
the 'width' distinction because of the desription of 'track'
in the map_features "unpaved/unsealed roads for agricultural
use; gravel roads in the forest etc.". My own visualization of
'path' is something which is defenitely not a 'road'. My own
visualization of 'path' is also not something which is by
definition 'paved'. But I really like to hear if I am biased
on this, so I can try to adapt myself on a more general view.

Gr, Rik