[Talk-GB] Bridges (Edinburgh)

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:10:52 BST 2007

On 8 Aug 2007, at 14:34, David A Fiddes wrote:

> The rendering problem is fixed by adding the appropriate osmarender
> tags to instruct it not to render Name or Ref for the bridge.

That is not fixing the renderer. That is a workaround for the problem.

> I am fixing this and other similar where ref or name are on
> roundabouts in any places I go.
>
> These tags are also useful to prevent small bits of street such as
> short cul-de-sacs in housing estates which have the name of the
> street they branch from having badly rendered name.
>
> As to the reuse of segements - you can differentiate as Shaun has
> described in JOSM but with Potlatch its potluck which you will pick
> and so for maintenance I fell a bad idea!

Another issue with reuse of segments is where you have a garden or
car park with roads all around it. There will be a problem with the
direction of the segments, especially if you have multiple of these
areas with adjacent segments.

On such example is where you have the roads in the shape of a T, and
you have areas in each of the 3 sides of the T. (i.e. top, lower
left, and lower right). This is simply impossible, you need to use
separate segments in this case.

Shaun