[Talk-GB] How do I tag this cyckeway?

Matthew Westcott matthew at west.co.tt
Thu Aug 16 15:08:47 BST 2007

On 16 Aug 2007, at 14:36, Rik van der Helm wrote:

> I doubt whetter Dave's whole 'route' fits in 'highway=cycleway', where
> it is reserved for 'cycleways exclusive for cycles'. His posting makes
> clear the route is mainly shared use. So Dave will have a hell of a
> job
> defining all those highways he's running along like
> residential/service/track/tertiary/bridleway.

I'm not so sure that you can always piggyback cycle routes on top of
existing 'highway' ways anyhow - I've encountered NCN routes and
signposted walking routes that follow a residential street for some
its length and then turn off down a side alley. This makes me think
that ultimately the most appropriate solution might be to define a
new way for each designated route, sharing the same segments as the
underlying roads - or at least it would be if our editors were better
at representing / editing overlapping ways...

- Matthew