[Talk-GB] How do I tag this cyckeway?

Rik van der Helm rik at the-quickest.com
Thu Aug 16 16:01:21 BST 2007

> I don't see anything wrong with 'piggybacking' logical routes on top
> of physical highways. If we did them as completely separate ways
> (sharing common segments), it gives us few advantages over the current
> methods (and I can't see any advantage over using entities) and makes
> life much harder.

I also don't see anything wrong with it. But from what I read in the
wiki and the lists is that a lot of recreational mappers
(cyclists,hikers) don't like to struggle with the distinction between
the different 'highway' for minor roads. It's a bit unfair that
especially cyclists/hikers are confronted with these difficulties in
tagging on minor roads, whereas the highway-pushers are mostly
cardrivers with a much more easy task because they mainly map the bigger
better defined 'highways' by following the road sign symbols.

To avoid that cyclist tag everything 'cycleway' and hikers tag
everything 'footway', I think it should be a good idea to offer a
different overall-tagging system for minor roads/pathes which is more
easy and better defined then the highway-system.