[Talk-GB] How do I tag this cyckeway?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:32:00 BST 2007

On 8/16/07, Rik van der Helm <rik at the-quickest.com> wrote:
> > I don't see anything wrong with 'piggybacking' logical routes on top
> > of physical highways. If we did them as completely separate ways
> > (sharing common segments), it gives us few advantages over the current
> > methods (and I can't see any advantage over using entities) and makes
> > life much harder.
>
> I also don't see anything wrong with it. But from what I read in the
> wiki and the lists is that a lot of recreational mappers
> (cyclists,hikers) don't like to struggle with the distinction between
> the different 'highway' for minor roads. It's a bit unfair that
> especially cyclists/hikers are confronted with these difficulties in
> tagging on minor roads, whereas the highway-pushers are mostly
> cardrivers with a much more easy task because they mainly map the bigger
> better defined 'highways' by following the road sign symbols.
>
> To avoid that cyclist tag everything 'cycleway' and hikers tag
> everything 'footway', I think it should be a good idea to offer a
> different overall-tagging system for minor roads/pathes which is more
> easy and better defined then the highway-system.

If you are mapping a cycle route through otherwise uncharted
territory, and you don't want to mark the intricacies of the road type
(e.g. you just want a squiggly red line to show up on
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm) then you can just add ways with no
highway tag, they will still render on the maps. Someone can come
along later and decide which highway tag was appropriate.

If you want to mark what kind of highway that route was on, then there
is no avoiding having to decide whether it's a road or a cycleway or a
footway - and the distinction between cycleways that you can walk on
and footways that you can cycle on is so small as to not worry about
it too much.

I still can't see any problem with the highway tagging system that
makes it unsuitable for minor roads/paths.

Cheers,
Andy