[Talk-GB] How do I tag this cyckeway?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 16:50:37 BST 2007

On 16/08/07, Rik van der Helm <rik at the-quickest.com> wrote:

> > > My own suggestion is:
> > > whateverkey=road/track/path/trail (>4m/<4m/<2m/<1m)
> > > cycle=yes;foot=yes
> > > network=ncn;byway;burnswalk;kmtrail;
> > > network_ref=ncn7
> > > and if you like to gather info on the pavement, also:
> > > surface=tarmac/concrete/cobblestone/grid/lime/shells/......
> >
> > Hmmm.. seems like you're twisting the problem to fit a different
> > problem to me :-)
> >
> > highway=cycleway
> > route=ncn;byway;burnswalk;kmtrail;
> > ncn_ref=7
> > foot=yes
> >
> > has a basic equivalence but using the existing tags.
>
> I doubt whetter Dave's whole 'route' fits in 'highway=cycleway', where
> it is reserved for 'cycleways exclusive for cycles'. His posting makes
> clear the route is mainly shared use. So Dave will have a hell of a job
> defining all those highways he's running along like
> residential/service/track/tertiary/bridleway.

Ah, well, I've never actually come across a track/road/lane whatever you
want to call it that was *exclusively* for cyclists. That's not to say that
they don't exist, just that they're obviously not common where I live. I
don't interpret highway=cycleway to mean "exclusively for bikes"... I
interpret it to mean "signed, suggested, and good for bikes". Given the
number of other cycleways that are around the place that I know for a fact
are shared paths, I think that that's a pretty common interpretation too.