[Talk-GB] highway=track and implied access rights?

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Fri Aug 17 10:09:34 BST 2007

Noticed that a path I put in as highway=bridleway or byway (can't remember
which, TBH!) has been converted to highway=track. Trouble with this is that
we lose rights of way information (does this track have public access rights
or is it just a farm track?)

Part of a wider issue with the growth of highway=track tagging is - should we
show private farm tracks? My own preferences are to strongly highlight
paths(rights of way or otherwise) which the public have access over. If we
should, then it would be better to tag public tracks as highway=footway|
bridleway|byway|whatever it is, together with foot=yes|permissive.

Nick