[Talk-GB] Hindhead Tunnel

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:31:36 BST 2007

Jono
It was me.

Yes, it really was surveyed, on foot, up to the point where there road will
enter a tunnel (which hasn't been built yet).

The road in question will be a trunk road when its done, and it would be
nice for renderers to be able to show such roads in the appropriate colour
but with a dashed marking or something to mark it's status.

The under-construction tag is not very satisfactory and highlights a more
general problem.  How to make tags more extensible?  We know two things
about this road, firstly that it will be a trunk road, and secondly it is
currently under construction.  Since renderers should not be expected to
know about about tags that have not yet been invented, the under_constuction
tag is not a good solution.

I tagged it this way and left it like that, intending to come back to it
when I had some better ideas about how to do it right.

My current thoughts are that we need a tag like highway=construction which
can then be qualified with the ultimate class of the road if it is known,
producing highway=construction:trunk.  This would not get misinterpreted by
renderers or other clients but still provide all the information required.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

80n