[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:29:25 GMT 2007

Mike Collinson wrote:
>Sent: 16 December 2007 4:37 PM
>To: Abigail Brady
>Cc: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?
>
>At 05:23 PM 16/12/2007, Abigail Brady wrote:
>

>	On Dec 16, 2007 2:38 PM, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:
>

>		Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I knew that page by
>heart so I checked and found it was added by user Steve8 on 30th September.
>It has not gone through the consultative and voting process so I'd like to
>remove it unless anyone has any objections?  I can see that it has limited
>value inside in parts of Europe were such things are not common, but
>confusing for anyone else. No harm in using it, but it should not be on Map
>Features. <gets off high horse>
>

>	Are you going to re-tag every way in the database that uses this?.
>

>Nope, everyone is free to use whatever tag they want.  Same goes for
>rendering.  If its useful locally in the UK  that is fine, but it should
>not suddenly appear on the Map Features page, certainly not without
>discussion/voting.  If it was used during early mapping, a "depreciated"
>note would an alternative.
>
>Mike

I hate that word "deprecated" it's totally wrong in our tagging concept. A
tag might arguably become obsolete but no tags should ever be termed
deprecated. Why, well because all tags are valid.

And map features is not a voted-on only list. Anyone can add what they like
and others can change what they like. It's a wiki page. I just added
landuse=military btw. If someone doesn't like that one then they are free to
change/delete it. Same applies to any other tag.

We really ought to move away from map Features as our tag list. Much better
to generate the list from the planet file.

Cheers

Andy