[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 17 10:51:56 GMT 2007

Andy R., Andy A.,

> And map features is not a voted-on only list. Anyone can add what
> they like
> and others can change what they like. It's a wiki page. I just added
> landuse=military btw. If someone doesn't like that one then they
> are free to
> change/delete it. Same applies to any other tag.

I'm totally with you on this. However many newcomers, and many
Germans, and most of all the intersection between these two groups,
really really crave a world where there is a right and a wrong. ("We
have to use identical tags the world over, otherwise routing will
never work" and so on.) There's not one week on the German mailing
list without someone presenting his ultimate reasoning which roads
are to be tagged what.

It is really very difficult do convey the idea of total tagging
freedom, especially to newcomers. It just sounds like it's never
going to work and so people don't believe you. It is a real challenge
to explain how and why it works nonetheless. Maybe we have to create
a FAQ somewhere for this ("But how is it going to work if everybody
can just do what he likes?").

As for the voting process, I think it has to be taken with a grain of
salt. Some people are doing a lot of work in that field and we
shouldn't disregard their work completely - it is ok to have a
structured process, also makes people think about what they want and
encourages discussion. But of course it must not claim exclusivity
(exclusiveness?).

Bye
Frederik