[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Dec 17 11:25:14 GMT 2007

On 17/12/2007 11:16, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
> David Earl [mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com] wrote:
>> But if people use random tags to describe objects for which consensus
>> already exists, then we have anarchy and the map will be completely
>> unusable.
>>

> This is why I think deriving the list from planet would be much better. The
> majority of tags in use already have descriptions on the wiki that can go
> against a listed tag. Where an item doesn't it offers the opportunity for
> those using the tag to add something. If nothing gets added then it's
> probably a pretty useless tag as you say, in which case nobody will use it.
> If when a planet list is periodically dumped it lists with it the statistics
> of use then it provides all, including newbie's, with a clear indication of
> whether it's a tag they should be using or not.

I think that's fine as a means or achieving consensus, but I really
think it needs to be augmented by some definitions.

(I'm reminded of the famous Unix anecdote about the syntax for awk -
that the developer hacked it up one evening to try it out but it
couldn't then be changed to something more friendly because by morning a
hundred people were already relying on it).

Should we dispense with the voting system?

David