[Talk-GB] New Popular Edition based point-of-interest editor

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Tue Mar 27 10:33:36 BST 2007

Shaun McDonald wrote:
> Hi Nick,
> On 27 Mar 2007, at 00:20, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>

>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Would like to announce a demo of a New Popular Edition based OSM
>> point of
>> interest editor, available at:
>>
>> http://www.free-map.org.uk/index.php?mode=POIeditor
>>

> That is one nice map. It might be old, but it contains a lot of very
> useful date for the Edinburgh and Lothians. Few of the recent maps
> have the Union Canal marked on it, even so it is a great place to
> cycle. There is a lot of old rail lines that are still about and are
> in a disused state or have been upgraded to a foot path and cycleway.
> Many of these are difficult to track on the Yahoo maps due to the
> surrounding trees. This would be an ideal data source, until I can
> afford a GPS unit. OK I will have to double check everything, but
> even so.

There you go spoiling my plan to cycle the length of the Union Canal
(and the Forth & Clyde) over to Glasgow in order to get a GPX track :)

Seriously though I think that you would be fine tracing the Union Canal,
apart from the section where it goes through Wester Hailes (where a
housing estate was built on top) and so has been re-routed since the old
maps were created....

Cheers
Chris

--