[Talk-GB] How to mark a Manor House on the map?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 12 12:23:26 BST 2009

On 12/09/2009 11:29, David Earl wrote:
> On 12/09/2009 11:21, Chris Andrew wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>> This morning, I mapped a Manor House here in Wiltshire.  I have added
>> the perimeter to OSM, and marked it as a boundary.  I just thought,
>> maybe this sort of tag is only for official boundaries, such as
>> counties.
>> I couldn't find a more suitable tag, as the manor house is not a
>> castle, and is not a tourist attraction. It's just (!) a 500 year
>> Grade 1 listed building.
>> Can anyone put me straight, as I don't want to contribute to poor
>> mapping practices.
> I've typically done this as
>     building=...
> for the building and
>     leisure=park
> for the estate parkland that is often around the house. I guess in many
> cases it would also be appropriate to mark this as access=private.
> No doubt we can argue about the value for building. I've used
> stately_home for some larger examples, but I see no reason you shouldn't
> use manor_house
I'd agree with this. I'd also suggest using some sort of historic tag. 
I've been using historic=house for a few old houses of various sorts. 
The wiki has historic=manor, though it is only explained in German (but 
I assume it is a similar thing): 

Maybe its also also worth having a listed building tag? eg 


More information about the Talk-GB mailing list