[Talk-GB] OSM Mapper

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Sep 18 11:36:58 BST 2009

Just to say that we have just updated the data in OSM Mapper from the
8th Sept to the 18th Sept. A huge apology for what I believe is the
longest interval between updates that we have ever had. There are a
couple of reasons for this.

Firstly, the import time is increasing dramatically. just over a year
ago the import took 10 hours, then it crept to 12 hours then to 33
hours and now to 45 hours due to the increasing size of the DB. I am
not clear if the DB is now 4 times bigger than it was a year ago or if
our import time increases faster than the increase in size of the DB.
What is does mean is that a failure for any reason adds a further 2
days to the import time.

Secondly, we have had a birth! A new shiny person arrived two week
early last weekend ago and Dad for obvious reasons stopped monitoring
the import and we didn't notice that it had failed until a couple of
days ago. We now have someone else watching the OSM import on a daily
basis while Dad is occupied!

Going forward we hope to achieve one update every 2 days with the data
arriving about 2 days after the daily diff until the DB gets even
bigger! We do also have work in progress to move to something much
more efficient and current but as with all things it is a matter of
juggling priorities.

You can sign up to OSM Mapper for free here:
http://www.itoworld.com/static/osmmapper

Regards,

Pete