[Talk-GB] liam123's latest

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 11:49:34 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:26 AM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2009 10:53, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> On 18/09/09 10:33, David Earl wrote:
>>
>>> Tom - this is persistent continuous abuse. I really think we have to
>>> block his IP address until such time as we can work out how to deal with
>>> the edits. They are just so pervasive and destructive. We've discussed
>>> suspending his account and the chances of him switching to a new one. An
>>> IP block is not foolproof either, but it is better than nothing, which
>>> is what we've got at the moment.
>>
>> Well (a) we don't know and can't easily find out what IP address he is
>> using and (b) in all probability it changes fairly often. The first step
>> will be to block his account, not his IP address.
>>
>>> ***PLEASE*** PULL THE PLUG ON HIM!
>>
>> I have repeatedly stated that I am not prepared to block people on my
>> own. Get the DWG to order him blocked and I will happily do so.
>
> How? How does the clamour that's been made over three months actually
> get turned into action?

When we last discussed it it was decided it was better to keep track
of him than ban him and not know where he was. We may well re-evaluate
that.

data at osmfoundation.org

> But this has been going for three months and he has poisoned large parts
> of Kent. How long and how much damage do we have to sustain before
> action is taken? He's spent the last two days doggedly undermining
> people's work, and far from Andy's previous assertion that he'll get
> bored, he hasn't. Indeed I have wondered whether there is more to this
> than just idiocy(*).

You seem to think his edits are irreversible -- they are not. They are
not hard to find, and they are not particularly hard to fix -- the
problem is we lack the necessary tools to do it efficiently (so that
one of us actually has enough time to do it before he starts again).
If someone somewhere actually develops those tools then we can come
back and make sure there's no lasting damage.

> Re IP addresses, it depends on how he is connected - mine for example
> never changes so long as I am using the same Mac address to connect. It
> is cited on the DWG page as one course of action, and I think it would
> be more effective than banning the account, as we'll likely lose track
> of him.

Except that that's not how most ISPs work -- much of the UK is on a
dynamic IP, and you might find yourself banning an entire exchange to
stop one user. We can do that, but it really is an extreme measure.

Dave