[Talk-GB] OpenStreetMap's first flight!

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Fri Sep 18 19:27:12 BST 2009

2009/9/18 Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>> Frankie Roberto wrote:
>>> Have copied chippy and RichardF in, in the hope that they can help us
>>> connect things up.
>>
>> Potlatch doesn't do WMS, it only does 900913 tiles (like OSM itself).
>> You specify them in this format:
>>
>>        http://tiles.mytileserver.org/directory/!/!/!.png
>>
>> where !, !, ! are z, x and y respectively. So, for example, you can have
>> OSM Mapnik tiles by typing
>>
>>        http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/!/!/!.png
>>
>> None of the links on that warper.geothings.net page are in that format,
>
> 1) Grab the geotiffs
> 2) gdalwarp
> 3) mapnik generate_tiles.py
> 4) stick them somewhere public
> 5) http://www.flickr.com/photos/gravitystorm/3930896331/
>
> Now it would be awesome if mapwarper could warp straight to 900913,
> since that would save another warping. And I'm only using mapnik since
> it's the hammer I have to hand for combining multiple rasters and
> spitting out tiles. YMMV.
>
> Anyway, on the wider topic I believe individual warping is the best
> approach, and it would be nice to rank images on their "verticalness"
> so that I can stack them up with the most vertical ones visible on top
> and the most oblique ones where there isn't any better alternative.

A random selection of vertical(ish) photos:
113-124 (all of one single area)
127
149
628,632,633,636,637,638 (all of the centre near the bridges)

I agree a systematic approach to tagging all the photos would be
better (anyone want to code up a tagging script?) but in the mean time
these would be good ones to rectify.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com