[Talk-GB] Verticality metre, was: Re: OpenStreetMap's first flight!

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Fri Sep 18 20:58:46 BST 2009

2009/9/18 Matt Williams <lists at milliams.com>:
> 2009/9/18 John McKerrell <john at mckerrell.net>:

>>> I'm actually almost ready to open up OpenStreetView and the code could
>>> be quite useful for this, you can upload geotagged images, show them
>>> on a map, get KML output. There's a moderation process that wouldn't
>>> be needed, but you could tweak it. I won't get time to release it
>>> until tomorrow though.
>>
>> Just to confirm, I don't mean that you would upload these photos to
>> OSV, but the code will be open source so someone could easily set
>> something up (me, in theory, tho I'll be busy getting OSV going).
>
> I'm currently hacking together a quick and dirty script to allow
> people to rate each image on its 'verticalness' should be up sometime
> tonight (haven't written PHP in quite a while!)

Ok guys. I've got a first version up at
http://milliams.com/verticalitymetre/. At the moment it randomly
selects an image from the http://78.46.66.234/jpeg1600 directory,
creates a local cached thumbnail and prints it on a page (with the
thumbnail linking back to the original). I've chosen a selection of 5
points on the 'verticality' scale with text descriptions. At the
moment, it saves your responses into a text file for each image. The
images chosen are still random so you may be tagging images that other
people have already done. This way I can just take a consensus at the
end.

It will be quite slow the first time a person views any particular as
I have to fetch the image from the server but this will only be done
once for each image. John, if you'd rather I'd do this a different way
just tell me. Especially if it's hitting your server too hard (though
the sum total of download bandwidth from you should be less than 900
MB -- ~878 images at ~1MB each).

If at any point someone wants the statistics, just ask me.

There's a small chance it will just suddenly go offline due to
bandwidth restrictions at my end but really it shouldn't.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions I'm all ears.

Get tagging.

Regards,
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com