[Talk-GB] Making sure people are contactable (was: liam123's latest)

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Sep 24 13:52:00 BST 2009

Ciarán Mooney <general.mooney at ...> writes:

>We seem unable to contact Liam123 via normal channels. This means we
>have to think of other ways of contacting members who continually put
>mistakes into the dataset.

I think it is important to make sure we have a working contact address for
anyone uploading changes.  One suggestion might be:

When a changeset is uploaded, the user gets a confirmation message.  They have
to ack that message before the changes are applied to the database.  The
acknowledgement might last for a month or two before it wears off and they get
another confirmation request.

(This could also be a way to confirm in writing that they haven't copied from
other maps, they are happy to license their contributions appropriately, etc.)

That wouldn't help in cases of deliberate vandalism but it would avoid the
periodic 'user X is doing odd things, and I cannot contact them' problems.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>