[Talk-GB] Virgin Train Traces (Richard Mann)

Phil James peerjay56 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:14:30 BST 2009

<richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com> wrote:

> A quick look at oepnvkarte indicates we have all of Virgin's operating
> routes already. Maybe some of the traces aren't great, but I think some
> tracing off NPE ought to fix that, surely?
>
> While positional info is probably in the trains (though I don't remember it
> ever being discussed in the context of Pendolino or Voyager), the effort
> required to extract it is probably several times greater than simply carting
> your own GPS around.

NPE tracing is not that accurate, certainly in Lancs/Yorks - the
Morecambe - Skipton line is fairly approximate in several areas. The
Yahoo imagery is so small as to be next to useless, especially now so
many other ways are mapped.
I interpreted John McKerrels email to be an attempt to save someone the
time (and expense?) of actually getting GPS traces themselves. I wonder
if other operators would be as helpful?

Phil.