[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

Tim Francois sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 12:02:25 BST 2010

To further this, I got a bit excited yesterday at the thought of all this
yummy data arriving. So I had to have a go with it.

I sometimes travel in and around East Haddon, NW of Northampton - the OSM
coverage here is/was patchy at best. I've uploaded some GPX tracks
previously, but the distances between places are vast and cycling around is
pretty knackering!

So I experimented a bit with the StreetView rasters, seeing if I could
import them into JOSM and manipulate their size/orientation to fit the
existing OSM data. Luckily, this didn't prove too difficult, and so I set
about tracing the missing roads in and around East Haddon, West Haddon,
Hollowell, Church Brampton, Ravensthorpe, Spratton and Chapel Brampton. It
seems to work OK, but manually lining up the tiles takes a bit of time.

I haven't done all the roads yet, nor named all of them, nor added any
source tags (not sure which one yet). My intention is just to get the roads
in to this forgotten area, for someone else to go verify them with a GPS
later (though judging by the lack of tracks in the area, not many mappers
about around here?). I added FIXME tags to most roads.

See the results against Google here:
http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=14&lat=52.3179&lon=-0.98652&layers=BT
See the results against Meridian2 here:
http://gibin.geog.ucl.ac.uk/~ollie/osopendata/meridian/?zoom=14&lat=52.3179&
lon=-0.98652&layers=BT

Just thought I'd confess, and let you stop me if you think I'm stepping over
some boundaries....

Tim