[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

Seventy 7 seventy7 at operamail.com
Mon Apr 5 13:32:53 BST 2010

> ... but there's a feeling that if we just dive in straight away and start tracing/importing willy-nilly we'll just shoot ourselves in the foot.

Yes, but Tim only mentioned tracing, not importing.

The Wiki is clearly out of date. It says that "We are still assessing the open data releases" but "we" seem to have gone past the assessment stage and are able to produce sites like the one Tim first mentioned.

Who is this "we" that's referred to here and on the Wiki that is doing this assessment?

"We" (Tim, myself and I dare say a few others) also want to start doing some tracing. Personally I will have plenty to do over the next month making sure existing roads are in the right place and adding significant buildings and so on that this data, from my own assessment, seems perfectly good for.

Assuming that bulk uploads aren't going to change what's there, and I trust the people doing them not to cock anything up, I'm not particularly interested in them and may make use of them if and when they happen.

In the meantime, I, as part of the wider community, would like to know more details about what's actually happening at the moment and what the outcomes of these assessments are.

Thanks,
Steve