[Talk-GB] building shapes from OS Street View

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:15:42 BST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Robert Scott <lists at humanleg.org.uk> wrote:

>  I'd say about 95% of buildings are rectangles. About 99% of buildings are purely orthogonal lines.

We need to be careful about extracting shapes from products that are
known to be downsampled. A quick look at Street View in my area shows
that OSM has more detail in the building outlines than Street View,
suggesting to me that MasterMap outlines have been simplified (often
to rectangles) to make this particular product.

We need to realise that whilst we map to a high level of detail and
keep those details in our end products, the OS don't and often have
simplified outputs. So it's a false assumption that the buildings in
Street View are accurate or better than OSM can create by other means.

Cheers,
Andy