[Talk-GB] West Mids Ward Boundaries

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Apr 7 11:40:36 BST 2010

On 7 April 2010 11:29, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) <
ajrlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Its also worth noting how the OS maintains this boundary-line data. Its not
> apparently, as you might have thought, tied to OS MasterMap, which you
> would
> think would provide precise positioning based upon land ownership etc.
> Instead it's based off the 1:10k mapping, basically StreetView though not
> necessarily that style. So importing boundaries isn't necessarily a good
> idea and in any case is likely to conflict to some degree with existing
> data. That's why prefer a manual process. There are not that many
> boundaries
> to sort, so it's not like it would take years to do anyway.

The NaPTAN import has proved to me that we should never trust imported data
> without our own verification.

That's interesting, thanks. But how do we verify ward boundaries if not from
the open OS data?

The only other place you can go is your local authority, whose records are
polluted by non-free OS data. That or you extrapolate boundaries from the
electoral register, which lists every street in wards and (one further level
down) polling districts. That would require both the register in an
appropriate format (as a local party officer I have one for Southwark) and
the technical skills & time to do that (which I lack).

I can't see any better option at the moment than an import from the open OS
data, whether StreetView or the future release of the vector stuff.

Best wishes,
Tom