[Talk-GB] OS StreetView accuracy: caution!

Kevin Peat kevin at kevinpeat.com
Fri Apr 9 19:00:43 BST 2010

On 9 April 2010 18:40, Robert Scott <lists at humanleg.org.uk> wrote:

> Hasn't one of OSM's (many) mantras been "doesn't matter if it's
> approximate: someone can always improve it later" or "rough is better than
> nothing"? Sure, some of the OS data is rough, but it is better than nothing,
> and quite good for a first pass.

+1 on this.

It seems odd to me that we are encouraging people to contribute using often
pretty rubbish mobile phone gps receivers but complaining that the OS data
is not sub-metre accurate.

Maybe some people will be put off if the empty areas are filled in with OS
data so they don't have a blank canvas but I bet there are just as many
people out there not knowing where to start who would add street names and
POIs and clean-up any OS errors.

Kevin