[Talk-GB] Yet more musical chairs updates.

Tim François sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 16:47:36 BST 2010

>>Dave F. said
>>And, as Tim F., points outs - there's no need to display correct info
>>(green) at all.

>I disagree and find these useful.  It is often the case that part of a road has been named >correctly and parts incorrectly.  The green boxes are very useful for finding the full extent of >a given road name. This information is lost in all other representations of this data which >only flag names with no match at all.
...which is why I suggested letting users have the *option* to turn them off as I recognise that some find the information useful (including the developer, as mentioned last week). It just bogs down my little netbook quite a bit, the poor thing.

>Also, Robert, an unqualified thank you for your work on this - it's a great tool and is just >fine as is.  Folks, if all people get is criticism when they invest effort and time in things >then they'll not bother next time.  Sure, it's not perfect but it's an awful lot more than we'd >have if Robert hadn't invested his time and effort in it.  As invited by him, spend some time >improving it rather than pulling it to pieces.
I would suggest that it's not criticism - just some feature requests with opinions. At the very worst, it's constructive criticism. As a developer myself, I'd be only too happy if people were "pulling it to pieces" (we're not, by the way - we're just critiquing the UI) - it shows than people *want* to use it (in the first instance), and want to use it as efficiently as possible . It's up to the developer to decide what they think is important and not important, and I'm sure Robert does not take any offence at the questions/suggestions/critique leveled at him (feel free to correct me).

I'll repeat: the reason I am critiquing this is because I recognise that a lot of time and effort has gone into this, and that this is a very valuable tool - I do want to use it, and think that the developer would also like many people to use it. Offering critique may help to improve the tool, encouraging more people to use it. It may not. Offering critique also lets the developer gain valuable feedback, and lets him/her know that people are using the tool. The developer can ignore the feedback as he/she wishes.
Tim