[Talk-GB] Why I'm not currently using OS Opendat as a source WAS The last 2%

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sun Aug 22 20:29:53 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barnett, Phillip" <PHILLIP.BARNETT at ITN.CO.UK>
To: "'80n'" <80n80n at gmail.com>; "David Groom" <reviews at pacific-rim.net>
Cc: <Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:06 PM
Subject: RE: [Talk-GB] Why I'm not currently using OS Opendat as a source
WAS The last 2%

> I've been mapping off and on since April 2006, and I've contributed
> approximately 1320 changesets in that time. Only three of which include OS
> data. Are all my contributions going to be rejected?
> I have not, as yet, signed up to the new CTs, though was intending to.
>
> I'm now not touching OS data - but is it too late? Surely it's just a
> question of removing the 'tainted' changesets? Or, to be safe, all the
> changesets I've contributed since the OS data became available?

Arguably it is too late, if you take a strict interpretation of the CT's and
their preamble.

The preamble states " you accept the terms of this agreement for your
existing and future contributions".  You have an 3 existing contributions
(changesets) which include OS data, and so technically you cant agree to the
CT's.

Even if you removed the "tainted" changesets I would contend you are still
unable to agree the CT's as the data was still had added (though
subsequently removed) .  Now if the preamble stated  "you accept the terms
of this agreement for your existing (to the extent that they have not
previously been removed) and future contributions", then you might be on
slightly safer ground agreeing to the CT's, but even then, as the addition
exists as history, and isn't technically removed from the DB then you
probably would still have problems agreeing to the CT's.

David