[Talk-GB] Why I'm not currently using OS Opendat as a source WAS The last 2%

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sun Aug 22 22:26:28 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew" <wynndale at lavabit.com>
To: <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB]Why I'm not currently using OS Opendat as a source WAS
The last 2%

> David Groom <reviews at ...> writes:
>
>> Oh , if only it were that simple.
>>
>> Partly as I said in my earlier email, the CT's talk about data you have
>> added, not data which still exists.
>>
>> But more importantly your contributions would still remain in all the
>> planet
>> dumps, so I presume you'd be relying on the "database people" to remove
>> the
>> data from them as well.  Probably a time consuming task, but potentially
>> do-able.  But then there are all the copies of the planet dumps held on
>> other peoples computers.  Should the "database people" ask for all of
>> them
>> to be returned so they can be cleaned?
>>
>> You see data you add to OSM cant easily be removed.
>>
>> David
>> > --
>> > Andrew

> I still see no problem.
>
> There is essentially no difference post-relicensing between data derived
> from an
> unrelicensable source and mapping that is not relicensed because people
> cannot
> be contacted. Planet dumps from the CC-by-SA era are a non-issue because
> they
> remain wholly under the Creative Commons licence; post-relicensing history
> dumps
> omit both sets ofdata.

But it is not a question of the wording of the licence, its a question of
the wording of the Contributor Terms.  I've not mentioned the licence at all
in the context of this discussion.

The preamble to the CT's state they refer to existing and future
contributions.  Therefore they cover contributions exiting in the planet
dumps, therefore you have to be able to say the data in those dumps complies
with the CT's.  Nothing to do with what licence the planet dumps are issued
under.

David