[Talk-GB] A14 spur -> A1(M) section - confusion over designation

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Feb 16 17:08:05 GMT 2010

There is general confusion about the appropriate reference for the A14
spur between the last exit near Alconbury heading north  and the
A1(M). Here is  a summary of the issues as outlined on the Wikipedia
article:-

"The final 1.2 mile section of the A14 'spur' from the junction with
the B1043 to the A1(M) at Alconbury has many inconsistent
designations. The scheme page on the Highways Agency website for work
carried out in 1996-1998 refers to it as the A14(M)[1] however the map
page linked from that page refers to the same section of road as the
A604(M).[2] The statutory instrument for the construction of the road
in 1993 refers to it as the A604(M).[3] The A14(M)/A604(M) designation
is not used on the ground; when heading from the A14 spur onto the
A1(M) heading north there a 'motorway' sign just past the B1043 exit
without any number of on (see photo in the top right of this page)[4]
however when heading south along the A1 it is signed as 'A14'.[5]
Online mapping is also inconsistent - the Highway Agency mapping
(which uses Navteq data) refers to it as the 'A14(M)',[6] Bing maps
(which also uses Navteq mapping) shows it as motorway without any
designation[7] and Yahoo maps (which uses Navteq data) shows it as
motorway and as the A1(M). Google maps (which uses TeleAtlas data)
shows it as a trunk road called A14.[8]

I have chosen to tag it as a motorway-link without any associated
reference (it was tagged as the A14(M) until I changed it to A14 as
'trunk' but that doesn't seem right).

I think using motorway-link  avoids creating any confusion for routing
purposes by showing references that are not provided on the roadside
signs. There are also arguments for tagging it in any of the other
ways that are described on the A14 article! Should we add an 'alt-ref'
tag, and if so what should be in it, and should we add a note with a
link to the Wikipedia article or the the OSM wiki?

Regards,

Peter