[Talk-GB] Private roads that are private for maintenance but are publicly accessible

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed May 26 20:38:01 BST 2010

On 26 May 2010 17:43, Ian Spencer <ianmspencer at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, there is a difference in practice and right, and it
> is debatable which OSM should lean to in documenting (the here and now
> argument).

I say we document as much information as possible...
Tag it access=private (or what is the correct legal equivalent tag that is
used by OSM renders) and then tag any gates/bollards or fences
(and whether the gates are open/closed/locked, see off-thread for tagging
proposal).
This way a good map reader can decide for themselves: oh it says I'm not
allowed to go there, but there doesn't seem to be anything blocking me,
maybe I'll run across and use it as a shortcut. Routing of course should
avoid private roads unless it is the start/destination/current location.

That reminds me I saw a few residential roads with a small fence around them
and I wanted to do some surveying for some reason (probably just to adjust
imagery-traces to a GPS track) but at the entrances (just large gaps in the
fence for the roads) I saw signs that read along the lines of "Private -
Strictly no unauthorised access". A bit harsher than usual, I left it for a
day when I wasn't on my way somewhere. Thankfully in the mean time I passed
along the North side, where it was a lot more clear that it was a military
site/barracks by the buildings and signs. It's since been mapped as such.
http://osm.org/go/WJQpI9MPN-

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com