[Talk-GB] Fwd: Map layer with OS Locator comparison from ITO - apostrophes

Kevin Peat kevin at kevinpeat.com
Fri Nov 5 09:27:48 GMT 2010

Post to list as well

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Peat <kevin at kevinpeat.com>
Date: 5 November 2010 09:27
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Map layer with OS Locator comparison from ITO -
apostrophes
To: Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>

On 4 November 2010 14:23, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> I am sorry to reopen this topic but I think it would be a good idea to
> reconsider
> the checking of punctuation in the OS Locator tiles.
>
> Look at central Exeter for example:
> <
> http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=50.72407&lon=-3.52609&layers=B0TF
> >

> Three-quarters of the differences reported here are in the presence or
> absence
> of a single apostrophe.  This masks the more important discrepancies and
> makes
> the report less useful.
>
> I know that in principle, apostrophe differences can be resurveyed, tracked
> down, investigated with phone calls to the council's naming department,
> etc.
> But in practice many mappers will prefer to concentrate on substantial
> differences and missing streets, considering punctuation less important.

Ed - I think specifically for Exeter as there are only 118 total differences
if the OS names are added where we don't have a name at all and any obvious
typos fixed then what is left (max 50?) could easily be surveyed in a couple
of trips. I did that for Torbay and managed to get the differences down to
zero. In most cases we were in error but there were a couple of OS errors
(when compared to the signage) so I think it is worth doing.

More generally mappers will have to decide if they can be bothered or not.

Kevin